Point Aconi Lighthouse
Point Aconi Road
The first lighthouse was built in 1874 by John A. Moore at the contract price of $500.00 The first caretaker was George Bonnar who was paid $150.00 a year. In 1897 the oil storage building was moved back from the eroding bank. In 1946 the light station was discontinued in favor of a gas-lighted whistle buoy off the point. A light station was eventually established on Point Aconi itself in 1989. The tower was 38ft., light height was 84 ft. with a range of 12 miles to warn vessels of the high treacherous rocky shoal and to mark the east point of the entrance to the passage of the Great Bras d'Or. It was a three man station that reverted to a one man with a skeleton tower. The two other buildings were sold to private interests. The last keeper was Carl D. Goyetche, who served with his family from 1979 to 1990 when it was de-staffed.
The building was a square white wooden tower 6.1m high with a small dwelling attached. It showed a fixed red light from an octagonal lantern 28m above water with a light range of 15 miles. The current lighthouse was first built and lit in 1989. It is a circular, fiberglass tower, white, red lantern.
Lighthouses are emblematic of Cape Breton and Nova Scotia, so properties such as these hold great value as landmarks in the community.
Click on Thumbnail to enlarge Image